It was 12:33am on Sunday November 22 and I was trying to make my way to where Beau was sleeping to tell him the most exciting and scariest news of our lives; our baby girl was on her way (you can read part one here). As my water continued to leak, I calmly tried to wake him to tell him the crazy news. He must of said “NO!?” in a shocked and in denial tone about five times before he finally whipped himself out of bed to get ready and head to the hospital. We knew we needed to hurry as it was dangerous for our little baby to make her descend through the birthing canal (she was breech) but we were also having trouble leaving the house. It was in this bizarre almost procrastinating kind of way that we seemed to keep circling into each other going places to get ready but actually getting nothing accomplished.
Leaving the house
Finally we made it out the door (after a last minute bump photo and a classic “are you serious” by Beau) to a complete BLIZZARD. Serious white out conditions! Thank goodness Beau had the weirdest hunch that very morning to suddenly leave our renos (and our family helping with them) to go get our winter tires on. It was so odd as there wasn’t a flake of snow in the air but he HAD to get it done. Intuition at it’s finest.
We were so giddy, excited and scared we couldn’t even decide the best route to get to the hospital. We giggled the entire way there. We parked, took a selfie together and headed on in. I passed on using a wheelchair which was a mistake considering my water situation and contractions. Use it ladies!
Arriving to the Hospital
Arriving to the birthing unit was a treat considering the first thing the nurse on duty replied with when I told her my water broke and my scheduled C-section was in two days was “you had to do this tonight? We are understaffed.” Really!? Thank goodness for the kind young admin lady who reassured me there would be enough staff to perform the procedure properly. That nurse then refused to call my doctor as she was signed out for the weekend on the medical forum (or whatever it was) even though my paperwork specifically stated in my Doctors own hand writing that she was to be contacted on her personal cell phone if by any chance I was to have an emergency C-Section. This grump refused and so off to triage we went to see how far along I was without my doctor on her way, a random assistant doctor for the procedure and an OB I least desired.
The same cranky nurse also did not believe my water had broken after two of her “water breaking tests” weren’t conclusive enough but had the nerve to say “my story” sounded plausible. She then went on to tell me that I was 0cm dilated. We just continued to kill her with kindness and finally after her inspection she couldn’t deny my water was in fact broken (and still leaking) and we were finally off to a private room with a new nurse to prep for surgery. This is where I learnt the true meaning of contractions (not the “owie” type that I had days earlier, or in the car minutes before). The real deal!
Boy, oh boy how do you mama’s deliver sans any medication!? Prep felt like forever as my contractions were getting more intense and frequent by the minute. They were hell. I couldn’t WAIT for the epidural I was going to get for the C-Section. Of course I needed a catheder first and this was probably the worst pain the entire delivery experience and the most uncomfortable. My reaction would have had you thinking I’d delivered a 40 pound child. Yah, that painful and seriously uncomfortable.
During prep (mostly paperwork, blood work and IV hookups) the on call assistant doctor arrived to introduce herself. I then piped up again about notifying my doctor (we had already planted the seed with the prep nurse) and the prep nurse said she would give us the benefit of the doubt and asked the assistant to call. Lo and behold, my doctor (best doctor ever!) was there in 15 minutes flat (it was about 1:00am or so) just as I was being strolled into the OR.
… the be continued.
IF you missed Part One of our birth story you can find it here
(full OR experience on Tuesday)